By Goth Mohamed Goth
The new elected leadership of Somaliland Journalist Association SOLJA and the opposing faction composed of independent journalist and members of the previous administration today signed a nine point agreement aimed at ending the long running infighting in the main body representing journalist in the country.
In a press statement released by SOLJA stated as follows:-
- The inclusion of members of the previous administration in the leadership of SOLJA so as to safeguard unity.
- To allocated equal quotes for members in terms of education and training opportunities.
- The new leadership will be tasked with the work of building the new headquarters of SOLJA and which upon completion shall be named in Honor of the Late Mohamed Rashid Muhumed Farah.
- The new leadership to begin the healing and reconciliation process involving the various stake holders.
- The new Leadership SOLJA shall equally protect the rights of journalists, government owned media staff and independent media, according to the organization constitution and Somaliland Press Law Lr.27 / 2004.
- In the essence of safeguarding the unity of the organization the post of Secretary General shall be awarded to a member who fits the criteria to be drawn from the faction which was not presented at the 7th general meeting.
- The terms of the agreement shall be announced at a ceremony to be held soon.
- The agreement becomes null and void if the concerned parties breach the terms.
- The agreement comes into effect after both parties jointly sign document.
The agreement ending the longtime power struggle between two factions in the main body representing journalists in country, Somaliland Journalist Association (SOLJA)was signed by .
- Mohamed Abd Guled,Former vice Chairman of SOLJA
- Mahmoud Abdi Jama (Xuuto),New Chairman of SOLJA
In the presence of
1: Farhan Ali Ahmed, Chairman of Horn Cable TV
2: Mohamed Abdi Ilig, Executive Director of Horn Cable TV