The national conference on climate change in Somaliland held for two days in the capital of Somaliland, Hargeisa, was concluded yesterday.

The conference, which is the second of its kind organized by the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change, was opened by Deputy President H.E. Abdirahman Abdilahi Ismail (Saili’i).

At the closing of the conference, resolutions were adapted through the points that were made hence intended to be a solution to save our environment from further degradation.

The Minister of Environment and Climate Change of Somaliland Hon. Shukri Haji Ismail Bandare, who presided over the conclusion of the conference said that the ministry and the government are working hard but they need the community and the business to concertedly work with them for positive results to be achieved.

She pointed out that one of the weakest areas when it comes to the damage to our environment is deforestation, which is a major part of the problem of climate change.

Speaking about these issues, the minister said, “The only thing I ask you is that the community should work with us. We as a ministry are working hard, and we are working day and night”.

She continued, “The performance depends on three pillars namely, the government, one is the people, and one is our businessmen. If the three of us work together, we will produce something great”.

She decried poverty as a major issue that hinders the control of degradation.

She said that deforestation and urbanization has been a major catalyst to the degradation of the environment and a major negative impact would befall the livestock sector, thence posterity.

As concerns the energy used in Somaliland is indicated to be 150 KW, which means that 84 % of it comes from electricity, while the other 16% is generated from solar and wind energy.

She advised, “The energy of the sun, which is available to us at night and day, the big businessmen and the electricity companies that provide us, must invest in 150 Kilo Watt, which Somaliland uses annually, 16% comes from solar and wind”.

On the other hand, during the conference, studies were presented on the extent of the damage to our environment, and the best way to deal with it, to save our environment.

The conference had the participation of experts and experts in the field of environmental issues, and discussions were held to deal with the problems faced by the environment.