The recently concluded Warsangeli Clan Conference in Erigavo, Sanaag Region, has produced a number of key issues agreed upon by the Government of Somaliland and the Warsangali Clan, which will further the development of the Somaliland Nation and its people.
The conference focused on strengthening the capacity of government institutions, security, justice, infrastructure development, and power-sharing between the Warsangeli communities and the Somaliland government.
Sultan Mohamed Sultan Hassan Jibril, who read out the points of the conference, said that the agreement was based on an agreement previously reached between the government of the Republic of Somaliland and the Warsangali clans.
The Government of the Republic of Somaliland and the Warsangeli Clan have agreed on the following points:
The Government of the Republic of Somaliland held a two-week-long conference with leaders and prominent members of the Warsangeli clan to decide, among others, how the clan could claim its rightful place among its peers in the government, the armed forces, and security agencies.
The Government of the Republic of Somaliland and the Warsangeli Region have agreed on the following:
- The Warsangali community is fully part of the Somaliland Republic, and as such benefits from its security, social development, economic infrastructure and national defense.
- The Government has committed to improving the economic infrastructure and the development of public services such as water, health, and education, as well as a number of other projects like the Laasqoray port and Erigabo- Badhan road.
- The Government of Somaliland will review and give consideration to the Warsangeli Region in the Executive Department.
- The Government of Somaliland has agreed to rename Dhahar Municipality as a Region in line with the State and Municipal System. Concerning the municipalities, the Ministry of Interior is responsible for new municipalities, as well as the promotion of the old municipalities.
- The Somaliland government and the leaders, scholars, intellectuals and prominent clan members of the warsangeli clan are working together to expand the administration’s role in the Warsangeli Region.
- The government has decided that the Warsangeli will take part in the judiciary in Somaliland.
- The government is considering the granting of government employees to Warsangeli Region.
- The implementation of this agreement will take effect on the date it is signed, and will be completed within 5 months.
Mr. Jama Ayaanle Feyte, a spokesman for the Warsangeli Diaspora, welcomed the conference and described it as a success and a manifestation of Somaliland’s unity.
They called on the government to implement the Erigavo Conference Agreement.