By Goth Mohamed Goth
Members of An ad-hoc technical committee, composed of four members with two from Somaliland and other two from Somalia and their supervisors the two aviation ministers have failed to reach an agreement on the proposed joint air control management after a weeklong talks in Ankara, Turkey this was revealed by Somaliland Civil Aviation Minister Hon Mahmoud Hashi Abdi upon his return to the country yesterday.
Somaliland Minister of Civil Aviation in a short press briefing said, “Somalia has failed to comply with the framework agreement reached in Chevening, Dubai, Ankara, and Istanbul I, delegations from the Federal Government of Somalia and the Government of Somaliland met in Istanbul between 16 and 19 January 2014 with the assistance of the Turkish Government.
“Our Previous agreement was for the so called Mogadishu center which is now located in Nairobi and tasked with controlling the outer space of Somaliland and Somalia will be relocated to Hargeisa and the federal government will have the privilege to appoint who heads the joint committee with controlling of the airspace and airports but this was not the case with the SFG officials,” he said.
On 18 January 2014, the Government of Somaliland and the Federal Government of Somalia signed a joint communique during talks in Istanbul, hosted by the Turkish government.
In the communique, the parties agreed to nominate an Air Traffic Control Board, which will be established within 45 days. An ad-hoc technical committee, composed of four members (two from Somaliland and two from Somalia) will prepare the terms of reference of the Air Traffic control board.
• This is a dialogue process between the Government of Somaliland and the Federal Government of Somalia to reach agreement on future relations .The parties are committed to continuing their dialogue in a spirit of mutual respect.
• On 1 January 2014 the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) relinquished control of Somaliland and Somalia’s airspace. ICAO has managed the air traffic control since 1991.
The latest Communiqué of the Technical committee Meeting
Meeting of the technical committees from both Somaliland and Somalia regarding the terms of reference (TOR) of the board of the management, held in Istanbul, Turkey which began on the 31/3/2014 up to 4/4/2014
Agreed on the following three points-
1. The Airspace to be returned to Somalis, latest by January 2015 and to be managed by a joint board.
2. The difference regarding the two parties the terms of reference as to the function and the shape of the management board
3. The respective parties would be in constant consulting with their superiors in Somalia and Somaliland in order to brief and update on the current issues of discussion and finally both Aviation Ministers should attend the next round of Somaliland /Somalia talks in order to find a lasting solution to the problems related to the management of the airspace
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD PDF VERSION OF THE COMMUNIQUE’ [Untitled]_2014040416521500