HARGEISA, 24 March 2010 (Somalilandpress) – “A brain drain is said to occur when a country becomes short of skills when people of such skills emigrate”
Looking back in my student years, I remember loving memories of my teacher a man who was interested in contributing his ideas and values to his country. It was stiff time to undertake such work where almost social sectors were dead and functionless. Somaliland is now convalescing from the ruin that affected nearly all of its public infrastructures, starting from obliteration to the doors of nationhood followed building. Today, Somaliland people are charming in a democratic process that brought peace, stability and relative prosperity.
Now this young nation enjoys all requirements of modern sovereign state; A definite boundary, internal and external security, and independence and effective judicial system, and free press, Somaliland dramatically improving security situation and modest of political progress. The citizens of this peaceful country either inside or outside sought high and low to attest their country’s development as an evitable matter.
Being contributor and insightful to your society is not an easy chore, but needs handwork, dedication and commitment. Many Somaliland professionals living abroad are seeking ways to contribute to the development of their country. The International Organization of Migration instigated last year some initiatives that are targeted medical doctors, nurses and engineers and other highly skilled people in returning Somaliland to assist public institutions in the country.
Some Diaspora qualified nursed from Filand, Norway and Sweden was making it easier for them to provide services to patients within the hospitals in Somaliland. Others are return voluntary to support their country for their own skills; there were large figures that chose to invest their capital to their personal businesses.
During the wars of freedom a huge number of Somaliland professionals slant to migrate Western Europe and North America as means of getting security and better life. Migration from developing countries to developed one has speed up time after time due to the liberation and civil wars existed many African countries in the continent. Somaliland Diaspora is discouraged from returning home by the political disputes that have erupted in Somaliland for the last year. Failing economies, high unemployment rates, the lack of adequate social services, such as health and education, are some of these factors.
[ad#Google Adsense (336×280)]
While migration to the western was persistent act for Somali Landers in search of job opportunity and better life, it was a key challenge facing for Somaliland who already countenanced a staid of human resource shortages. The Somaliland human resource was persistently pooped as their highly skilled and non skilled prefers to emigrate and apply their skills and force abroad owing to the wars of freedom in their country. Rather than blame departing professionals in Somaliland. Many people views these highly Skilled Somalilanders located abroad as potential asset. A study made in Somaliland highlighted that 95% of people back home are living remittances send by relatives in overseas. The study is also tinted that 98% of them are females while the other remaining 2% are men.
Until recently, Somaliland government had expresses little concern about the loss of skilled people, while president Rayale actively attempting to address the challenges of the brain drain. On his trip in abroad in 2008, president Kahin meets professionals and intellectuals who have left Somaliland to ask them how they can contribute to their country’s development. The president said also in press release of his return that a conference between government and Somaliland intellectuals based in abroad will be held in Hargeisa. But that proposal is still missing.
The message is clear, my beloved people in abroad the summer is near, how you plan your summer, are you ready to volunteer this summer for contributing social activities in your people instead of going relaxing trip. You Somalilanders in abroad tighten your belt it time to make summer: A way to help in our
“Somaliland my country Somaliland my people
From the shimmering of Berbera, and the across the Golis range.
Live is full of hope and goes with lots of endurance and determination.
In the azure sky over Hargeisa lie clouds of hope.
Of course we have people that strive to improve our lives.
The springs that flood our soils, makes our land productive.
Our rich wildlife reserve, can earn a lot in foreign exchange.
The red sea port of Berbera will be the regional hub for the horn of Africa.
All that is needed how is to tap these resources and build our young nation.
That is how I love, study and work in my sweet home”
Written by: Farhan Abdi Suleiman (Oday)
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org