By Goth Mohamed Goth
The National Committee tasked with the Preparedness and Prevention of Coronavirus (COVID-19), has with immediate effect announced the closure of Somaliland’s territorial borders with Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Somalia on Wednesday (25/03/2020).
In a press statement released by the national committee on COVID19 stated as follows.
The National Committee for Prevention and Prevention of COVID-19 after assessing the latest international COVID-19 epidemiological data and assessments of the global epidemic, and examining its preparedness activities in the prevention of COVID-19 has issued the following;
- First, it is emphasized that the Somaliland community should be aware of the risk of COVID-19, and to follow the COVID-19 awareness-raising message that the health community is sharing.
- When the Committee assessed the situation of passengers arriving at Egal International Airport, it determined that all passengers boarding the aircraft on arrival from 25th March 2020 will be held at specific locations for 14 days (QUARANTINE). ), during which their health status will be checked and monitored, and the passengers will have to incur the expense of the 14-day quarantine period.
- All Somaliland territorial borders with Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Somalia have been closed for the duration of 3 weeks, starting from 26th March 2020, 06:00 PM. Only essentials such as food, fuel, and water, medicines and Various Health Products and Products.
- All Maritime Offices in Somaliland are closed except at the Berbera seaport where they can import essential commodities such as food, fuel, medicines and commercial goods from 26th March 2020, 06:00 PM.
- Ministers of the Ministries and governmental agencies are informed to instruct staff that they are obliged to work at home with full alertness. This does not apply to the ministries and agencies listed below who are required to work fully under certain circumstances.
- The staff of the Ministry of Health Development
- The staff of the Ministry of Finance
- The staff of the Ministry of Information, Education, and Culture
- The Egal International Airport Staff
- The Berbera Sea Port Staff
- The Berbera Fuel Storage Staff
- The staff of the Erigvao-Burco Road
- The Central Bank of Somaliland Staff
- Local Government Staff
The National Committee commissioned for the Preparedness and Prevention of COVID-19 do hereby informs all concerned agencies tasked to oversee the implementation of the directives including law enforcement agencies to take actions against those who are caught in violation of the preventive measures against coronavirus pandemic.
The National Committee commissioned for the Preparedness and Prevention of COVID-19 hereby informs the general public to take all precautionary measures against the COVID-19.
The National Committee commissioned for the Preparedness and Prevention of COVID-19 further urges the public to comply with the Health awareness messages on the COVID-19.
- Minister of Health Development- Omar Ali Abdullahi
- Minister of the Interior-Mohamed Kahin Ahmed
- Minister of Religious Affairs-Sh. Khalil Abdillahi Ahmed
- Minister of Education & Science -Ahmed Mohamed Diriye
- Minister of Information, Mobilization & Culture- Saleban Yusuf Ali Koore.