LAS ANOD (Somalilandpress) — Somaliland military said it thwarted a Puntland militant attack on members of it’s 12th division stationed in east of Las Anod on Monday morning.
Mr. Saleban Guled, Somaliland Defense minister, said there were no casualties on either side but the militants fled back to Puntland.
The attack came as Somaliland prepares the last leg of voter-registrations in the region.
According to an eyewitness, a search operation was also conducted in Tukaraq, a town some 50km south of Las Anod, against miscreants involved in terror activities. They said arms and cash were seized.
[ad#Google Adsense (200×90)]
Earlier this month, the security forces nabbed at least 20 suspected militants and Quranic teachers from Las Anod, who were accused of having ties with Somalia’s Al Shabab militants.
On the 29th of January, Mr. Ali Sundale, Somaliland’s Postal and Communication minister, suspended all communications in the town after reports suggested that mobile phones were used as ‘bomb triggers’.
Since the security measures were introduced there has not been any attacks in the region.
Somalilandpress, 23rd February 2010